How to debug a system hang?

Vladimir G. Ivanovic vladimir at acm.org
Tue Aug 17 21:50:57 UTC 2004

Every night, and sometimes during the day, ever since I upgraded to
Fedora Core 2, my system (ASUS CUV4X-DLS: dual P3 1GHz, 2 GB, Quantum
Atlas 10K SCSI drive, 2 IDE drives, etc.) hangs.

What should I do to gather more information or to debug this? There's
nothing in the system log files.

I've already built a kernel with the kernel debugging options turned on
and with many unused modules removed, but this hasn't produced any
useful information.

Thanks for any help and/or pointers.

--- Vladimir

Vladimir G. Ivanovic                        http://leonora.org/~vladimir
Palo Alto, CA 94306                                      +1 650 678 8014