KDE Menu Editor (Strange Happenings)

Grant Limberg grant at xactcommerce.com
Tue Aug 17 22:12:51 UTC 2004

Gordon Keehn wrote:
> Hi, Y'All
>    I recently installed FC2 on an old IBM Aptiva that I had hanging
> around.  When I did so, my KDE menu contained an entry for
> gnome-system-monitor (System Monitor) under "System Tools".  I was very
> happy, because while I generally prefer KDE to gnome, I did like the
> gnome-system-monitor tool.  However, one unhappy day the menu entry for
> System Monitor disappeared.  Now, I can still start the monitor
> manually, but being a point-and-click kind of guy I wanted my beloved
> menu entry back again.  I went into the KDE Menu Editor and added a new
> entry to the System Tools submenu, entered the application path and
> other such goodies, and saved the menu.  After exiting the menu editor
> no changes were evident.  "Aha", says I, "I have to reinit the KDE
> desktop."  So I logged off and back on.  No change.  I rebooted.  No
> change.  I'd be happy to edit a menu template file manually, if that's
> what it takes (and if I knew where to find it).  Does anyone know how to
> change the KDE application menus and make it stick?
>    Cheers,
> Gordon Keehn

I've been having a similar problem lately.  Simply stated, I cant add or
delete anything from the KDE Menus... I think it started when I
installed WineX/Cedega 4.0 & Point2Play, but I'm not sure if that is
when it happened or not because it wasnt something I noticed right away.
  I havent been able to add any menu items to the KDE Menu since then.
If I run kmenuedit from the command line, I get the following error
message when adding menu items:

[grant at virus boincsrc]$ kmenuedit
[grant at virus boincsrc]$ X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
   Major opcode:  20
   Minor opcode:  0
   Resource id:  0x300079e

The Resource id is usually different every time the error is displayed,
but Major opcode and Minor opcode are always 20 and 0, respectively.

Any help on solving this problem would be much appreciated.  I've had to
resort to adding links to the desktop rather than putting stuff in the
menus.

Grant