samba/libcom_err.so.3 dependency problem

David Levner davidlevner at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 18 01:07:40 UTC 2004

Hi everyone,

I just installed Fedora Core 2 today (it was a clean
install, not an upgrade). I was a little surprised
that samba was not included in the installation, so I
downloaded samba-3.0.5-2_rh8.i386.rpm and tried to
install it. It complained that I didn't have
libcom_err.so.3.

So I googled for libcom_err.so.3 and found that I
could get it by installing
krb5-libs-1.2.7-10.i386.rpm. But when I tried to
install this package, I was told that I already have
krb5-libs-1.3.3-1 which is newer.

Can anyone suggest a clean way to solve the
samba/libcom_err.so.3 dependency?

David Levner

P.S. I checked the archives and found that others have
had libcom_err.so.3 dependency problems, but I didn't
see a simple solution.