yum updating kernel

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Wed Aug 18 12:12:38 UTC 2004

Antony GIBBS wrote:

> how to prevent yum updating weekly kernel
>
> (this is the first distib I ever see doing this!!! updating kernel every
> five minutes.  WHY???)

1. open a terminal, su to root
2. open your /etc/yum.conf file
3. in the [main] section add the line: exclude=kernel*
4. save the file and exit (you may want to do a yum clean to clean out
any kernel-related headers)

There is a related post at this url:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&m=108897348527549&w=2

Why are there updates? :-)
Any number of reasons, I suppose - security, bugs, improvements.

You may want to read the announcement regarding a kernel update to see
if it recommends all users to apply the update, or if it is a specific
user type the update targets, if you are concerned about the frequency
of updates. Looked at another way, I think it's pretty dang cool to have
the very latest fully updated machine, with all security/bug fixes
applied -- something that ... <ahem> ... other operating systems just
are not capable of doing well at all.

Of course, you *can* simply automate the whole process, by clicking on:

RedHat -> System Settings -> Server Settings -> Services

Then scroll through the list, and put a check mark in the yum box. Save
and exit. Your machine will then be automatically updated each night!

Hope this helps,
Clint