Configuring Sendmail?

Mitch Wiedemann mc2 at lightlink.com
Wed Aug 18 15:16:54 UTC 2004

Can anyone tell me how to configure sendmail so that the messages don't
appear to be coming from root at localhost.localdomain?

I have two FC2 file servers (one primary, and one backup)  at a client
site which I occasionally want to send e-mail messages to me (from
LogWatch, cron, etc.) so that I can keep tabs on their status. But the
messages seem to be getting bounced by their ISP because of the mail
headers.  And I do get messages complaining about a possible open relay,
which isn't the case, because I've got a firewall running and the
attached messages are always the "system" messages I'm expecting.

I get messages like this:

The original message was received at Wed, 18 Aug 2004 05:43:15 -0400
from localhost
with id i7I9hE33029531

mc2 at lightlink.com
    (reason: 590 <>... NJABL Open Proxy ** [aaa.bb.ccc.dd] ** See http://dnsbl.njabl.org)
    (expanded from: <root at localhost.localdomain>)

451 4.4.1 reply: read error from mail0.lightlink.com.
... while talking to mail1.lightlink.com.:

<<< 590 <>... NJABL Open Proxy ** 129.44.215.166 ** See http://dnsbl.njabl.org
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

[snip]

And to make it a bit more confusing, I do occasionally receive the
messages from cron, but not logwatch.

Is there a way for outgoing mail to be sent from an address more
acceptable to the ISP?  The client "master" e-mail address for instance?

Any assistance will be most appreciated.

--
Mitch Wiedemann
mc^2 Computer Consulting
mc2 at lightlink.com