RH8 Question

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Aug 19 02:59:34 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 19.08.2004 schrieb Steve Foutty um 4:24:

> No worries, just got it working. I'm hesitant to upgrade to Fedora since I
> have heard mixed suggestions. What's your honest option of it Alexander?
>
> Steve

I heartily encourage you to upgrade to Fedora Core 1 at least. There is
no doubt that FC1 is a very solid release, an improved RH9. With FC2
came bigger changes and until all edges are round FC2 certainly can make
more problems in some constellations.

RH8 is fairly outdated and if you do not pay much efforts and time to
keep your system bug free you will more shortly than in the long run
have someone else on your system being root too. Actually there are very
much hosts running older Redhat releases compromised. Nearly each of the
hosts which tried my SSHD for a weakness were rooted older Redhat system
(from 6.2 up to unpatched RH8 and RH9). I can ensure you, attackers know
about systems being in an unsupported state and how to use the
weaknesses.

I am running FC1 since late 2003 on a remote, co-located machine, acting
as a server with virtual domain hosting for web, mail, mysql and can
swear it is very solid and as much reliable as I counted the Redhat 7.3
release. The only downtimes the machine had were when rebooting with a
new, security bug-fixing kernel.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2smp
Serendipity 04:47:47 up 14 days, 22:15, load average: 0.82, 0.45, 0.30