IMAP Problems

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Thu Aug 19 14:28:56 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 10:21 -0400, Thomas E. Dukes wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 10:10, Douglas Furlong wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 09:35 -0400, Thomas E. Dukes wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I just upgraded from RedHat 9.0 and had been using pop3 to get my mail.
> > > Seems after the upgrade its gone.  IMAP isn't working either.
> > >
> > > I can't find any error messages in the maillog just that the connection
> > > was refused.
> > >
> > > Where/how do you configure IMAP?  How/can I use POP3?
> > Please search the archives as this really has been answered many many
> > times before.
>
> I have been searching for almost 2 days now.  There's a lot of imap
> related topics.  I have looked at my /etc/imapd.conf but that doesn't
> tell me anything.
> >
> > The UWIMAP package that came with RH9 has been dropped in favour of
> > Cyrus IMAP, this provides IMAP and POP3 (as well as secure version of
> > these!).
>
> I saw where POP3 is 'supposed' to be provided.  But why can't I get my
> mail via pop3.

I can't remember off the top of my head if POP3 is enabled by default
with Cyrus, check /etc/cyrus.conf you want to uncomment the lines
referencing pop3 and pop3s if you are accessing your email from over the
Internet using POP3

> > This however is a VERY much over kill for small setup's (however I am
> > using it at home for 5 users, it's easy to configure and run once you
> > know how!), if you want a simple system then I believe devcot is the
> > next package to be preferred.
>
> I agree...I'd just rather use pop3 if I can.  What will I break if I
> un-install imap and install qpopper?

I'm not entirly sure off the top of my head if any thing will break.
However an advantage that Cyrus has over most other systems is that you
can create mail users with out requiring local accounts, which is a
security boon.

> > Hope this helps, but seriously, don't be lazy, search the archives,
> > you'll just wind up the people you want to help you.
>
> I've searched this thing to death but I can't find the posting I need to
> figure this out.
It would be helpful if you gave more information like you just have, as
the question you asked, has been asked to death, and answered even more.

I hope this provides a bit more info?

--
Douglas Furlong
Systems Administrator