no audio with Quicktime video streams

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Fri Aug 20 11:22:25 UTC 2004

Can anyone get any audio to accompany the streaming Quicktime video at
http://www.apple.com/trailers? I have never been able to get either FC1
or FC2 set up to properly play those video streams.

I have installed mplayer* via yum.

The video comes through just fine. There is no sound, however.

I know that it *can* be done on a Linux machine, because I saw the
trailers with audio playing just fine on my friend's Mandrake 10 box
that had mplayer, mplayer-gui, and mplayerplugin installed with urpmi.

Now there *are* some video files that play just fine with the audio in
my Mozilla browser, for example:

http://www.ntk.net/media/dancemonkeyboy.mpg
http://www.flamingmailbox.com/maccomedy/movies/wincrash.html

So I have the problem narrowed to those in-browser videos that are
Quicktime streams.

I want to learn how to get my Fedora machines to play them as well as
the Mandrake machine could!

Thanks,
Clint