DVD iso

Lew Bloch conrad at lewscanon.com
Fri Aug 20 22:35:39 UTC 2004

> Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 14:08:15 +0100
> From: Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>
> By "cd based distro" s/he means a single-CD distribution (e.g. Knoppix),
> that you can boot into straight off CD *without needing to install it*.
> You could then burn your DVD image using that. Given that you've already
> downloaded the DVD, downloading a single Knoppix CD ISO would be quicker
> than downloading the multiple CD ISOs you'd need to install Fedora.

Actually, I haven't downloaded the FC3 DVD yet, because I ran into
trouble on FC2.  The Knoppix approach doesn't seem significantly easier
to me than burning four CDs.

Download time is irrelevant, since it takes the same amount of time to
download the same amount of data, be it CD or DVD.  Burning time is
smaller with DVD, assuming no errors, since it eliminates the overhead
of setting up three more burns.  However, it's not a significant
difference, at least not worse than the extra step of downloading,
burning and booting to Knoppix.

> An alternative approach, if you have any existing Linux boxes available
> to you on a network (again, a Knoppix CD might suffice for this), would
> be to loopback mount the DVD ISO there and export it via NFS, and then
> do an NFS install. There's a small boot.iso file in the images/
> directory of the DVD that you can burn to CD and use to boot into the
> installer.
>
> Paul.

So I burn two CDs and one DVD instead of four CDs, plus add the overhead
of figuring out loopback and NFS and how they interact, assuming, of
course, I boot my Windows machine to Knoppix and set up NFS from there.
  All that takes extra time in setup and understanding, but I don't see
a huge benefit.  Why use two Unices?

I don't think I want to be that Rube Goldberg about it.  When I want to
burn from Linux, I'll use Fedora for the burn, after moving the burner
to that box.  (Does cdrecord do DVDs?)  So I sacrifice Windows access to
the burner (at least, until I master Samba).

The ideas folks sent have been most interesting, and I really am
grateful for them.  They just smack of "going around Jericho's barn" to
get what I want.

Most useful, of course, were the answers to the original question as
asked - those that pointed me to Windows software for burning > 2 GB DVDs.