Relaying through Smart Host - Solution

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Sun Aug 22 08:49:49 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-22 at 02:02, Steve deCarteret wrote:
> The SMTP service was already listening on the external interface, so that
> wasn't a problem.  I modified the /etc/mail/access file to include my local
> domain, local subnet and specific host, all to no avail.  However, when I
> added the domain of my ISP, where the smart host was located, relaying
> started working fine.

This means that your server will now relay mail for the domain of your
ISP (e.g. as if your server was a backup MX for the ISP). It's not an
open relay (your server can't be abused to send mail *anywhere*) but
it's not the "right" solution. All you should have needed was an entry
for your local network in the /etc/mail/access file:

192.168.0	RELAY

This would configure your server to relay mail for your LAN clients
192.168.0.*.

Did you run "make" in the /etc/mail directory after editing the access
file? This rebuilds the access.db file, which is the one actually used
by sendmail. If you forgot to do that, your changes wouldn't have
appeared to have had any effect.

Cheers, Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>