"Draggy" UT performance with new kernel

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Sun Aug 22 12:31:50 UTC 2004

    After tuning the ACPI/whatever on the BIOS, the newer kernels are
working fine and dandy.  With just one exception, but I'm sure it's
simple.

    kernel-2.6.8-1.521 seems to be perfect.  In fact, just like the
previous problem, it's probably a matter of tuning the scheduler, since
I've not touched it.

    NO, OpenGL is working just fine in hardware.

    During gameplay, I see a *THREE SECOND* delay, repeated many times
over a short game, making it very unplayable.  Nothing else is running
during this time; not playing mp3s, serving any files (the kids are
asleep) and it happens at any time of the day.

    But since the latest fix was to the interrupt-system, maybe I need
to set some priorities?  The game offers no error messages...it's just
losing timeslices here and there.  There's nothing awry in
/var/log/messages.

    Is this something new that people need to set for various
performance levels under different loads?

Brian Fahrländer                  Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                 http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ 5119262
AIM: WheelDweller