Cron useage question

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sun Aug 22 14:50:46 UTC 2004

Am So, den 22.08.2004 schrieb Gene Heskett um 14:19:

> >Can you explain why you think it's not needed? Crontab the command
> > is by far the easiest way of editing personal crontabs. (Besides,
> > it appears on a number of other Unices: I haven't checked, but
> > there are quite possibly Posix compatibility issues).
> >
> >James.
>
> Because its the file presented as default when typeing 'man crontab',
> and it tells you absolutely nothing of value other than the authors
> name and copyright date.  The brief description of its intended use
> is so terse it doesn't enhance ones knowledge in any other way.

Dear Gene,

the manpages are sorted into different "divisions". So there is a logic
what to expect from man1, man5, man8. And if you closely look at the
"man cron" and "man crontab" you will find at the end a pointer to "man
5 crontab" in both.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 16:48:51 up 2 days, 12:31, load average: 0.38, 0.31, 0.37