USB enclosure and partition size

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Mon Aug 23 14:35:19 UTC 2004

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Markus Huber wrote:

> Just formatted a Maxtor 200 GB ATA 133 HD - one partition, ext3.  I want to
> use it in an USB enclosure (CP Technologies CP-U2I-3A).
>
> My question is: hence the USB enclosure is only able to format HDDs up to 80
> GB as I read in an article a while ago (sorry, I don't remember the source),
> and it definitely did not format this HDD, can I expect weird issues when I
> use a huge partition in an USB enclosure.

If your usb enclosure supports 48bit lba block mode it should work with
any size disk you can buy currently. I have 120GB and 250GB drives in USB
enclosures that are well behaved.

> First test: it mounts, I can read and write, everything seems to run
> smoothly. If anybody has experienced issues with USB enclosures, it would be
> nice to read about that. Although a search in the list and in google has not
> braught up any bad reviews.

Then I'd expect it to continue to work fine. Now if you could only see the
first 137GB of the disk that would a problem.

> Thank you, I am tired - so is my English.

Enjoy.
joelja

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu