"FAILED" to "bring up" eth0

Phil Thomson philthom at freeshell.org
Mon Aug 23 22:09:57 UTC 2004

Hi all,

After no less than three attempts, I finally got Fedora Core 2 installed
and booting on an old 233 with 64 MB of RAM that I found in the garbage
(!). But now, upon boot, Fedora tries to "bring up" eth0 for a long time
before saying it "FAILED". Does this simply mean the ethernet adapter is
broken (given that I found this box in the trash, that may well be, though
it seems perfectly functional in all other ways)? Or is there a .conf file
or something I need to tweak somewhere?

I'm a bit of a newbie to Linux, but I've used it twice before, and I'm
familiar with *nix-type systems through Mac OS X/Fink. Please feel free to
respond offlist if you think this question is out of place on this list.

TIA.

Phil

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, 1949

=========
Phil Thomson
home: http://www.sfu.ca/~pthomson