How to configure X display from the command line

Dan Trainor dan at hakkrdan.org
Mon Aug 23 23:18:41 UTC 2004

You could try X -configure, that will dump a new temporary XF86Config
file for you.  I've used this on a number of occasions to create a new
config for a new monitor that I did not want to probe.  When doing that,
be sure to copy all relevant other config bits and pieces to your new
config file to make it permenant.

I'm sure there is probably a better way of doing it, but since I do not
use X all that much, I have no other clues.

-dant