Roaming Wireless Configuration

Sam Tregar sam at tregar.com
Tue Aug 24 02:55:35 UTC 2004

Hello all.  My Netgear WG511 802.11g wireless card is working great,
thanks to the fine folks at prism54.org.  My problem is that my work
uses an encrypted network but at home I have encryption turned off.
To get the work connection going I have a WEP key in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/keys-eth1.  Now when I get home I have
to do this after I put the card in:

  iwconfig eth0 key off

Until I do so the card tries to connect using the WEP key from work,
which obviously won't work.

A friend told me that Windows allows for a registry of ESSIDs and
corresponding configurations, but I don't see anything like that in
Fedora.  How should I solve my problem?  At worst I suppose I could
just setup my home network with the same key as work, but it seems
like there should be a better way.

Thanks,
-sam