Gnome has disappeared!

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Tue Aug 24 14:00:53 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 09:32, John Lagrue wrote:
> On booting up my system this morning and logging in I found myself
> running twm!
>
> Investigation shows that Xclients-default no longer exists, and that
> gnome has seemingly vanished; certainly running 'switchdesk gnome'
> reports that gnome is not installed.
>
> Does anyone have any idea of what could have caused this? And what I can
> do to repair it?
>
> JDL

Did you check your RPM database to see if the gnome packages are still
listed there?

As to what could have happened, you may have deleted some portion of
your file system by accident, you may have removed the gnome packages
using rpm or yum, one of your file systems may not have mounted
correctly, cosmic rays blasted your hard drive erasing specific files,
your system was hacked and modified by someone else just for fun, UFOs
may have replaced your system with almost an exact duplicate except for
the gnome packages (they prefer KDE).

As to what you can do to repair it, if you find the packages are no
longer on your system then re-install the packages.  However you may
want to spend some time looking through roots shell history and the
various log files to try to figure out what caused the problem in the
first place.

You may also want to provide some info as to what version of the OS you
are using and basic info on the hardware just in case someone else has
the same equipment and has seen this problem.

Also think back to what you did just before you did nothing to the
system.  That usually is the source of problems like this.

:)

--
Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com>