Reverse Question - FC2 Prints over network perfectly, Windows XP does not

Berg, Ivan Michael (Ivan) ivanberg at avaya.com
Tue Aug 24 16:54:29 UTC 2004

Thanks for the reply, comments below...

[mailto:fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of James Wilkinson
>Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 10:41 AM
>To: fedora-list at redhat.com
>Subject: Re: Reverse Question - FC2 Prints over network
perfectly,Windows XP does not

>Berg, Ivan Michael (Ivan) wrote:
>> This is actually a reverse problem, in that all works fine printing
>> a shared printer from my Fedora Core 2 box, but when printing locally

>> to the printer from WinXP, the printer produces horizontal lines!
>>
>> Now, all used to be fine printing locally from WinXP to my old school

>> BJ200, with occasional horizontal lines fixed by cleaning the printer

>> or replacing the cartridge. Now, imagine my surprise when I print
from
>> my
>> FC2 box, and it prints flawlessly 100% of the time!
>>
>> Every application in WinXP (Word, Firefox, Excel, etc.) now has
>> trouble printing locally with horizontal lines. Why does FC2 work
fine
>> printing to the same exact printer over the network? Doesn't it
>> eventually use the same BJ200 Windows driver that seems to be having
issues?

>Erm ... no. Not as I understand it.

>Turning the print job into whatever the printer understands is done by
the computer that wants to print. So XP will be doing the >GDI -> BJ200,
while Fedora will be doing the whatever -> Postscript -> BJ200.

Yea, makes sense, would there be something different in the way
postscript send it's job to the printer vs GDI?

>> Windows XP SP2 with latest Canon BJ200 driver - shared on network

>So that driver comes from Canon; it's not one that comes with WinXP?

It is actually the WinXP driver, which I don't think the driver has
changed in ages, since the BJ200 is one of the original inkjet printers.

>So you're getting regular horizontal lines? Or are they irregular? Do
you get the rest of your print job "behind" them?

I am getting fairly regular horizontal lines between the characters. In
other words, print a line, the put white out through the middle of the
characters on most lines. On windows, entire job has these lines on
almost every line (almost as if there is ink problems, since it is not
perfectly regular)

>Does the printer emulate anything else? How about trying a BJ-100
driver?

No, it's a straight and true BJ200 that has been working for 8+ years.
Sometimes with this type of problem caused by "fuzz" in the printer. But
this has been cleaned, and why would FC2 print better??

--
E-mail address: james | "Minis on the other hand are just the wrong
size. Too @westexe.demon.co.uk  | small to work on directly and too