OS installation restarts

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 24 17:10:08 UTC 2004

Oais Halim wrote:
> ... but the computer reboots while the installation is doing a media
> check, not at a particular point during the media check but any point.
> sometimes it reboot at 27%, sometimes at 12%, I tried the memtest86
> and waited till it passed once, I couldn't find any problem, What
> do you think the problem could be?

You mention that you have a
> sony 52X cdrom drive
so presumably you're installing from CD-ROM, not DVD. Are all four of
the CDs failing?

>     I have 2 hard drives in my computer, one is for windows and one
> is empty where I'm planning to install Fedora, the windows hard drive
> is set as primary master and the linux harddrive is set as primary
> slave and my cdrom drive is set as secondary master,

So you have Windows installed?

Can you try copying everything off the CDs onto the Windows hard drive
(you don't have to keep it there: I just want to check that you can
read all the data on the CD drive under Windows).

> Is this setup conflicting in anyway with the Installation?
Shouldn't be.

> I have a new cdrom drive so a possibility for it to fail is rare.

Actually, computer electronics tends to follow a "bathtub curve"
failure rate: there's a lot of failures in the first week or so,
hardly any for a long time, then gradually they'll wear out.

It's also very possible that your CD drive is marginal. They're very
generic these days: the only way for a manufacturer to distinguish
its drives is to cut costs as far as possible. Often, they'll
compromise quality at the same time.

Can you try doing the media check on someone else's PC?

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "It has taken 24 years to get the Reichstag wrapped.
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | Chancellor Kohl said it would only be wrapped over