Fedora support for SCSI RAID Cards.

Wayne Steenburg w.steenburg at myactv.net
Tue Aug 24 20:09:24 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 15:10, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> I'm looking at purchasing an Adaptec 2100S SCSI RAID card.  The RAID array on
> this device will be the only drives in the system, so the Fedora installation CD
> needs to be able to recognize it, install to it and summarily boot to it.
>
> Anyone know if support for the card is built in by default?  I've seen
> posts saying that it is not, and also come across a custom I2O boot disk for Red
> Hat 7.x.  All this is leading me to question whether or not I should purchase
> this card if I want a hassle-free install.
>
> Anyone have any experience with it?
>
> If it's _not_ a great card, anyone have any recommendations for a 32-bit PCI
> SCSI RAID controller with excellent Linux support?  I suppose I will look at AMI
> MegaRAID cards just in case.
>
> Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure about the 2100S, but I know that the 3ware cards will boot
under Linux.  The crucial aspect of a raid card under Linux is whether
or not it offers true hardware raid meaning the card does all the
processing.  Most "raid" cards are software driven and can only be used
under Linux after the appropriate module(s) have been loaded.

Wayne Steenburg