/dev/cdrom is not a valid block device.

Geoff Hacker geoff.hacker at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 03:15:58 UTC 2004

Hello David,

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 14:21:21 -0400, David A. De Graaf <dad at datix.2y.net> wrote:
> This line has too many fields.  'man fstab' says there must be 6;
> you have 9.  It should be thus:
>
>  /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

That's because I copied the line out by hand. I did not have the
luxury of being able to copy and paste the text into an email. At the
time that I wrote that email, I did not even have internet access. I
certainly would not have been aware of the importance of the blank
spaces in the line.

> But you used awk, not grep, to extract the line.  Why?

I knew how to use awk, not grep.

> Awk might (but doesn't in this case) introduce confusion.

I did not know what, if any, confusion awk might introduce.

> Grep is simpler and more precise in this instance, eg
>
>        grep cdrom /etc/fstab

Sounds good, I'll try to remember it for next time.

Geoff