rsync (ssh) a fedora mirror

Greg Wildman rhlist at itns.co.za
Wed Aug 25 16:53:58 UTC 2004

alain volmat said the following on 25/08/2004 13:00:
> I'm trying to use rsync over ssh to synchronise my
> server with one of fedora mirror.
> The problem is very simple actually, I'm being asked
> for a password (ssh password on the fedora mirror),
> which of course I don't have.
> My question is: are there any "anonymous" ssh
> rsync fedora mirror that I could use ?
> Or maybe I just miss some important point concerning
> ssh ...
>
> I know that my problem would be solved by just using
> rsync over rsh, but I have no choice but to use a
> socksified ssh.

You need an account on the server to log in via ssh which you obviously
won't have on a mirror. Also why bother encrypting the data, it is
available to anybody who wants it.

You can use plain old rsync if the mirror server offers rsync access. E.g.

  - list all modules
    rsync carroll.cac.psu.edu::

  - list the fedora core module contents
    rsync carroll.cac.psu.edu::fedora-linux-core/

  - sync your local copy with the remote.
    cd <directory of your mirror copy>
    rsync -av --partial carroll.cac.psu.edu::fedora-linux-core/ .

--
Redmond, we have a problem.