New Fedora User Questions

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Aug 25 17:44:47 UTC 2004

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 01:03:24PM -0400, Thinker wrote:
> 1.  Rumor has it that Red Hat and Fedora are going to merge back into
> one distro in the near future. Is this true, and if so, should I wait?

Which rumor has this? Fedora Core is the basis for the enterprise products
from Red Hat....

> 2. Is there a way to do an ftp install of sorts with fedora, rather
> than downloading all of the iso's and burning disks?

Yes. Download a boot image, make a CD with just that, and choose FTP
install. I do this all of the time.

> 3. What are the advantages of using Fedora over SuSE or Mandrake (in
> the opinion of someone that has used all three recently, please).

It's a nice, cutting edge distro that has a strong commitment to pure open
source, and there's a solid community of users and developers. And, if
you're used to Red Hat Linux, it's nice and familiar.