Firestarter Gurus - Your comments Please

Shadow Shadow at shadowsnetwork.com
Wed Aug 25 17:48:05 UTC 2004

Hi all- I decided to put my linux box (FC2) in the DMZ and test the
defenses.....I am running Core 2.6.8.1 and for the firewall, I am using
FS 0.9.3.   Well....upon checking it late last night, I noticed all the
traffic (non stop) coming in...checking the logs, the traffic was coming
from a variety of places.....different IP, hitting different ports.....I
assume testing different services (according to the logs).  It was the
amount of traffic that I found annoying.  The only services I had
enabled in the firewall was http, https NTP and DNS.  I didn't check
anything else.  This morning I checked the firestarter archive site, I
noticed posts about enabling ICMP filtering, which I did and I checked
echo, traceroute, unreachable, timestamp and address masking.  But I
need to understand (half the battle is understanding) what was happening
and why.  Any pointers or direction you can give will help.  I don't
mind reading!!!
Shadow