Linux-friendly ISPs?

Mike Markiw III mmarkiw at speakeasy.net
Thu Aug 26 17:52:47 UTC 2004

I use a DSL provider called Speakeasy, conveniently located at www.speakeasy.net.

Their big selling point is that they give you full access to the internet, not just web and email.  No port blocking, no monthly bandwidth caps, etc.  They encourage you to run your own server (great for us!) and have no problem with home networks.  In fact, Speakeasy rolled out a program last year that allows you to share a wi-fi network with your neighbors and if all parties agree, Speakeasy will split the bill accordingly among the participants.

The best part is their tech support.  I encountered a service outage once and even though I was sitting in front of a Red Hat 8 box at the time, the tech on the other end wasn't phased and we eventually tracked down the problem to the dsl modem.

-Mike