Linux-friendly ISPs?

Doug Stewart dstewart at atl.lmco.com
Thu Aug 26 18:59:35 UTC 2004

Kenneth Porter wrote:
> --On Thursday, August 26, 2004 5:52 PM +0000 Mike Markiw III
> <mmarkiw at speakeasy.net> wrote:
>
>> The best part is their tech support.  I encountered a service outage once
>> and even though I was sitting in front of a Red Hat 8 box at the time,
>> the tech on the other end wasn't phased and we eventually tracked down
>> the problem to the dsl modem.
>

> This is definitely where SpeakEasy wins. Other ISP's will ask you to
> hook your Windows box to the cable modem because the script that the
> first level techs work from can't handle anything else.

A typical call to Comcast by me, before switching back over to Speakeasy:

Me: "My connection's not working.  I've checked my machine and it's not
the problem.  I think your modem has lost sync."

Tech: "What OS are you running?"

M (lying): "Windows."

T: "Did you reboot?"

M (lying again): "Yes."

T: "Can you shut your machine down for me now please?"

[root at eliab root]# ifconfig eth0 down

M: "It's down."

T (with a bit of shock): "That was fast."

M: "Now what?"

T:  "Can you boot it back up please?"

[root at eliab root]# ifconfig eth0 up

M: "Back up."

T (incredulous): "Holy crap!"

M: "I've got a fast machine."

Now, I don't have to deal with it anymore.  I do what I want and
Speakeasy only ever tells me to reboot the DSL modem (my default action
anyways...)

*grin*
--
Doug Stewart