3Com Wireless PCMCIA card on Gateway Profile

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Fri Aug 27 14:26:35 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 09:35, Thinker wrote:
> On Aug 26, 2004, at 5:32 PM, Thinker wrote:
>
> > I have just completed the ftp install for FC2 on my Gateway Profile 3.
> > For anyone unfamiliar with this model, take a look at
> > http://products.gateway.com/products/GConfig/prodDetails.asp?
> > system_id=prf5m1&seg=sb
> >
> > Anyway, these machines have PCMCIA slots like laptops and I have a
> > 3Com Wireless card (3CRPAG175) that worked flawlessly when this
> > machine had Windows XP home on it.   How do I configure the card, the
> > networking and wifi on it.
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > .:Thinker
> >

> Sorry for replying to my own post, but I still have not found a
> solution to this. The Card is not even blinking so I don't think the
> PCMCIA slot is activated. How can I check, and where do I configure my
> SSID and Encryption for the network.
>
> Thanks,
>
> .:Thinker

Linux support for wireless cards IMHO is pretty poor.  You will need to
determine the chip set used in your wireless card (prism, broadcom,
etc.)  Then search out either a driver project that supports that chip
set such as prism54 which works on the D-link DWL-G650 I have or you may
have to use ndiswrappers which uses the windows driver supplied with the
card.

When you search out what chip set you have on your card make sure you
check the version of the card you have.  Many vendors have the same
model number on a variety of cards which have different chip sets,
linksys I know has done this as well as some others.

Once you get the basic driver issue figured out you should be able to
set the SSID and wep information in the Network Configuration GUI.  You
can also edit the scripts directly if needed.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

The graveyards are full of indispensable men.
		-- Charles de Gaulle