Samba Question

Yang Xiao yxiao2004 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 19:25:24 UTC 2004

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:18:30 -0500, sharif islam <sharif.islam at gmail.com> wrote:
> Did anyone successfully used large AD groups for samba authentication
> in Fedora? I was able to join the AD domain and go to the share when I
> allow only the users instead of group(s).
>
> And groups 'usernname' command takes around 40 seconds or more to
> return the group list. Most users are in more than three groups. I
> also noticed the winbind_cache.tdb file gets very large  -- around
> 4MB.
>
> Any hints? Thanks.
>
> # rpm -qa|grep samba
> system-config-samba-1.2.9-2
> samba-3.0.3-5
> samba-client-3.0.3-5
> samba-common-3.0.3-5
> # rpm -qa|grep krb
> krb5-devel-1.3.3-7
> krb5-libs-1.3.3-7
> pam_krb5-2.0.10-1
> krbafs-devel-1.2.2-2.1
> krb5-workstation-1.3.3-7
> krbafs-1.2.2-2.1
>
> --

Hi,
First of all, this is a question better suited for the Samba usergroup
mailling list.
There's also a pretty good How-to by example document on their website
for AD/Samba integration.
As far as I'm aware of, the command to query groups info in Samba with
AD using winbind is.
#wbinfo -g
man wbinfo to get more information.

Also, I hope you used
#net ads join
when you joined the domain, because that's required.
try
#net ads info
does everything look OK there?

Also it is recommended that you upgrade to Samba 3.0.5 or above for AD.

Yang