cracking winmodem issues in FC2

Gabriel Mititica gabriel_mititica at yahoo.ca
Sat Aug 28 04:26:05 UTC 2004

> Actually, Gabriel is placing two calls. The initial
  > "9" is a request for an outside line from his
local  > switchboard. When that request is honored and
he is  > granted an outside line by giving him a
second       > dialtone, he then asks to be connected
to            > 604-822-4477. Since this does not
happen                > instantaneously, and the local
switchboard may not   > buffer the ISP's number, he
needs to have some way of > separating the two
requests, and allowing the        > connection to be
made. The simplest way to do this is > to insert a
comma or two after the "9"; this will    > generate a
one or two second delay between the two   > portions
of the dialup dialogue. A more elaborate    > method
would be to modify the dialup script to dial  > 9,
verify that a second dialtone is present, and then >
complete the dialing process.

my /etc/wvdial.conf (generated by
system-config-network) contains
Area Code = 604
Phone = 8224477
Dial Prefix = 9

This config (except the init strings) is similar with
teh one I use for a Intel Corp. 82801DB (ICH4) AC'97
Modem Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [Generic]) on a
Dell laptop without any problem (with slmodemd too)

Activating the network thorugh system-config-network
gives me either error 6 or 8

Gabriel