FC1 works fine but unable to install FC2

Bill Kirchner xlucent at zoominternet.net
Sat Aug 28 13:52:44 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scot L. Harris" <webid at cfl.rr.com>
To: "Fedora List" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Friday, August 27, 2004 10:37 AM
Subject: Re: FC1 works fine but unable to install FC2

> On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 09:54, Bill Kirchner wrote:
> > Sent this yesterday but it didn't seem to go through:
> >
> > I am trying to install FC2 on a computer that previously was running
> > FC1. I downloaded the 4 iso images, burned them to CD's, verified that
> > both the iso files and ther CD's were good.
> >
> > When I run the install, I tell it to skip the mediacheck. The install
> > hangs for about 30 secs and then gives me the followiing error:
> >
> > [<c028007b>] copy_to_user_tmp/+0xe0/0x10f
> >
> > Code: 0f b6 10 40 89 03 89 51 04 83 e2 0f 83 fa 08 8b 53 1c 74 12
> >
> > install exited abnormally
> > <7>serio: kseriod exiting
> >

> > So....it did that about 4 times. The system would still boot into FC1
> > but wouldn't run the FC2 install. I then decided to force the issue
> > and deleted all the partitions on the HD. Tried the install again and
> > this time it ran past the part where I told it which packages to
> > include (in a custoom install) and got to the "checking dependencies"
> > part when, you guessed it, install exited abnormally.
> >
> > I have now tried to run the install 11 more times and it is always
> > right back at the first error message. It never even starts to run
> > anaconda. I have deleted partitions, reformatted the drive and then
> > deleted partitions. Nothing helps. It quites right after I tell it to
> > skip the media check.
> >
> > I am learning to hate FC2 with a passion. I've never had so much
> > trouble on a basic OSD install. I am seriouslu considering just using
> > Sun's Java Desktop (which I own and had running on this before
> > switching to fedora.).
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> The following standard answers apply to these kinds of problems:
>
> 1. You need to supply some additional information including make/model
> of motherboard, harddrive types, amount of memory, etc.  That
> information might make it possible for someone with similar hardware to
> assist you.
>
> 2. Always a good idea to run media check at least once.  You may have
> done that but you indicate you told it to skip that step.
>
> 3. Run a memory test on your machine.  Similar problems have sometimes
> been traced to marginal or bad memory.
>
> 4. Less likely but when you burned the CDs you may want to lower the
> write speed.  Burning at max speed sometimes causes problems with some
> CD media.
>
> 5. Read the release notes and other documentation.  It may call out
> specific issues with the hardware you are trying to load on.
>
> 6. Check bugzilla for your particular hardware combination or for the
> specific error messages you are seeing.  It may have been reported
> before and a work around may be available or a fix may be listed.
>
> 7. Google for your particular error message.  May not help in this case
> as the error message appears to be fairly cyptic.
>
> It does appear that you avoided the other common problem of burning the
> CDS incorrectly.  So that should not be an issue here.
>
> Good luck.

> [...]
1) Its an Asus motherboard with an Intel P3 800MHz CPU and 512MB of RAM.
Award BIOS with all updates.

2) I ran mdsum on the iso files and verified thier checksums after I
downloaeded them. Had to DL a couple of them a second time but finally they
all checked out. Then ran mediacheck on the CD's after I burned them. They
also check out fine.

3) All 512 MB of RAM check out fine.

4) See #2

5) I did and it doesn't.

6) ditto

7) didn't see anything in Google. More accurately, lots of stuff on
"install exited abnormally" but none as it relates to this. seems like
crashing installs are common but for lots and lots of reasons.

For what it's worth, I wiped and repartitioned the HDD and reinstalled FC1
with no problems. I may just leave FC1 on but I would really prefer to move
to FC2.

Bill