Linux-friendly ISPs?

Charles Heselton charles.heselton at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 20:20:48 UTC 2004

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 08:53:48 -0500, James Kaufman
<jmk at kaufman.eden-prairie.mn.us> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 11:02:49PM -0700, Charles Heselton wrote:
> >
> > I have 2 windows boxen, 1 (sometimes 2) fedora boxen, and 6 Sun boxes
> > that all connect through a switch and Smoothwall configuration.  I use
> > Cox as my ISP, which recently just upgraded their service to 4Mbps
> > down and 512 Kbps up.  Never had any problems there, other than them
> > blocking server ports (80, 25, etc.)
>  -----------------------------------
>
> To me, that sounds unfriendly. If you simply want to receive content then most
> ISP's are 'friendly'. If you want to serve content, then you have to look
> harder.

I can see how some might think that was "unfriendly".  However, the
ISP doesn't care whether it's M$ IIS or Linux Apache that's being run
on port 80.  They don't care whether it's M$ Exchange or Sendmail
that's listening on port 25.  They block all (or both)
indiscriminately.  So while it may be SERVER unfriendly, I wouldn't
agree that's it LINUX unfriendly.

It's also a decent security measure.  Blocking (especially) port 25
can help to stop some worms from propogating.

<SNIP>

> > --
> > Charlie Heselton
> > Network Security Engineer
> >

> --
> Jim Kaufman
> Linux Evangelist
> public key 0x6D802619
> ---
> Some people like my advice so much that they frame it upon the wall instead of
> using it.
>                -- Gordon R. Dickson
>

> --

Charlie Heselton