advansys scsi == ouch

John McBride jmcbride at ccis.com
Sun Aug 29 03:07:34 UTC 2004

Gene Heskett wrote:

>On Friday 27 August 2004 23:02, Les Mikesell wrote:
>

>>On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 20:27, John McBride wrote:
>>

>>>What was
>>>advansys thinking when they dropped the ball on kernel 2.6?
>>>(rhetorical question).
>>>

>>Maybe something like 'an operating system that changes the driver
>>api's yearly will never catch on'?
>>

>Probably not.  But I find it strange that no one has pointed out that
>advansys themselves have been no more for what, 5 years now?  To
>expect a company to support their product 5 years after their demise
>in the inevitable silicon valley money laundering is a bit
>unrealistic.

Well I did mention they have been sold twice in four years. They
currently go by the name of "initio.com", which has the drivers
available for download and the cards for sale online.

---
John

PS: interesting bit about the technical superiority. I bet there are
some amazing stories about PCI and ISA bus nightmares floating around in
the hardware circles.