Fedora Project as learning medium for experts survey

thefinn thefinn at tpg.com.au
Sun Aug 29 10:42:45 UTC 2004

Without a doubt. The opensource ideal behind the GNU license is still
without boundary or limitation as far as learning and developing systems
and networks is concerned. The easy installation and ability of the user
to learn and develop from that foundation been since the major source of
interactivity people have had with linux since I started using it back
in 1994-5.

While other operating systems can be said to be System V compatible -
which linux isn't - they tend also to differ in many major ways (from
each other) which creates a problem of interoperability for developers
and traditionalist users alike.

I think fedora and not only fedora - but the fedora repositories offer a
complete way in which to use the platform in any capability -
development, workstation use, or system servers without having to worry
as much about underlying security and upgrade issues as have had to in
the past. While fedora isn't responsible for much of this, I think the
distribution has started at a time where this is the main benefit of
using linux as a platform for any of these tasks over other operating
systems which are still a huge manual workload just to keep things running.

I would suggest however that System V compliance would make any version
of linux a good choice for anyone anywhere - if it were possible with
the GNU framework - I'm no expert on the law involved.

TheFinn.