Nautilus slow to browse samba shares

Marc Williams marcw at onlymooo.com
Mon Aug 30 03:39:33 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-29 at 22:19, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-08-29 at 23:06, Marc Williams wrote:
>
> > I am interested in your results.  In my case it was sheer luck that I
> > happened to have been called away from my client machine long enough to
> > have discovered that waiting awhile solved the problem.  This after
> > quite a bit of diddling trying to get it to work.
>
> I opened a bug report on this problem but other than one other person
> that added a comment saying they see the same thing I have not heard any
> more on it.
>
> I followed the same steps I used on FC1 for this.  What all have you
> tried?

Pretty much the Howto at the Samba site, specifically the Quick start:
http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/FastStart.html#id2509193
under the heading "Secure Read-Write File and Print Server"

My eventual smb.conf wound up looking like this:
# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = (obfuscated)
        server string = Samba Server
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        dns proxy = No
        ldap ssl = no
        idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
        idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
        hosts allow = 192.168.0.

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

A lot of default settings in there.  Since this seems to take so long to
announce after a restart, there's no guarantee that this is correct.
Especially since I've just started testing this thing.