Lynx

Max Pyziur pyz at brama.com
Mon Aug 30 11:24:17 UTC 2004

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Andrey Andreev wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Adam Boettiger wrote:
>
>> Hey thanks!  I had to install both but worked well.  What do you find the
>> primary differences are between lynx and elinks and why do you prefer
>> elinks?
>

> Happy to help :)
>
> links does a very good job rendering complex page layouts, _including_ frames
> and tables. It supports mouse clicks and mousewheel if used with a nice
> terminal (e.g. konsole, PuTTy, I guess others would work too). It's interface
> is also menu-driven (try Alt-F, or click the top line of the screen), which
> makes it simple to find commands that you can't remember as shortcuts. It
> also has all the shortcuts I was used to from lynx IIRC.

I agree on that elinks' presentation is better than that of lynx.  I like
to use lynx to download files and or save webpages as text files.

lynx ftp://domain.com/path/to/file/filename.tgz
is a quick way of downloading a file

lynx http://domain.com/path/to/file/filename.html

then invoking (P)rint and then "Save to local file" to save a webpage as
text.

> And once you're looking for CLI tools for the web, I'm also going to suggest
> that you look into wget, if you haven't.
>
> Regards,
>
> //Andro

Max Pyziur
pyz at brama.com