Yum "ImportError" in FC2

CB fedoralist at crispin.cb-ss.net
Mon Aug 30 11:29:22 UTC 2004

CB wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Whenever I run Yum, I get the following:
>

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/yum", line 22, in ?
>     import yummain
>   File "/usr/share/yum/yummain.py", line 31, in ?
>     import yumcomps
>   File "/usr/share/yum/yumcomps.py", line 4, in ?
>     import comps
>   File "/usr/share/yum/comps.py", line 5, in ?
>     import libxml2
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/libxml2.py", line 1, in ?
>     import libxml2mod
> ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/libxml2mod.so: undefined
> symbol: xmlXIncludeProcessFlags
>
> I also get the ImportError if I try to import libxml2 from the python
> console.
>
> I've tried using rpm to uninstall and re-install the libxml2,
> libxml2-python, and yum rpms which I downloaded from my nearest fedora
> core 2 mirror, but still the same problem. rpm -q shows my libxml2 &
> libxml2-python to be versions as follows: libxml2-2.6.8-1
> libxml2-python-2.6.8-1.
>
> It's possible that some manual flailing around with downloaded install
> scripts I did very late last night overwrote the libraries from the
> rpm's, but in that case wouldn't the libxml2 rpm un/re-installs have
> fixed the problem? Any ideas on how to go diagnosing from here?
>
> Cheers,
>
> CB.

To anyone else who may have this problem, I managed to solve it by
searching for all instances of  libxml2.so throughout my file system. I
discovered several in usr/local/lib as well as usr/lib, and moved the
/usr/local/lib ones out of the way (assuming that the /usr/local/lib
ones were added by non-rpm means). That fixed yum (though it may break
something else).

Probably all obvious to most readers of this list.