Nautilus slow to browse samba shares

Marc Williams marcw at onlymooo.com
Mon Aug 30 16:48:08 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 11:35, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> First thanks for the help on this nautilus/samba problem.  I just hope
> it helps with Marc's problem as well.

Thanks, but alas, no.  NT1 is the default protocol so that is what I was
using even though it's not specified in the conf.

> This is the first time I have actually seen a list of the systems on the
> network via the nautilus browser on a FC2 system.
>
> I have found a new wrinkle for this.  During much of the testing I
> disabled iptables just to make sure they were not causing any problems.
> After having success at getting nautilus to see the systems in the
> workgroup and access shares I enabled iptables again and re-ran the
> tests.
>
> The first part worked ok, I could see the workgroups listed in the
> second window.  However, when I tried to bring up the list of systems in
> one of the workgroups I get an error window with the following message:
>
> Error Displaying Folder
> The folder contents could not be displayed.
> Sorry, couldn't display all the contents of
> "Windows Netowrk: workgroup"
>
> I have the following ports opened up in iptables:
>
> 137:udp
> 138:udp
> 139:tcp
> 445:tcp
>
> I have also tried this with both udp and tcp ports on each of those.
> Same results.
>
> So at the moment this is working with iptables disabled but when it is
> enabled it does not work.

Are you positive about that?  Is it repeatable?  Not that I'm doubting
what you see but rather my experimenting (also with firewall, hosts, and
smb.conf settings) yields inconsistent results.  Sometimes things pop up
quickly and sometimes they don't - even without changing anything.
That's why I asked about repeatability.

In all cases for me, even when things don't appear quickly, they will
eventually if I wait long enough.  That part seems to be consistent.

Just to get something straight, when you say that things work with FC1
but not FC2, are you referring to the Samba server machine or client
machine?  In my case, both are FC2.