FC2 AMD64 install error!

Ram Kumar ram.kumar at induslogic.com
Tue Aug 31 06:49:34 UTC 2004

I am a newbie to Linux. 12+ years of development experience in Mac +
Windows.

I have recently assembled myself an AMD 64 bit Athlon on MSI
motherboard, 512 MB Kingston RAM, 120 GB Seagate Hard Disk, Samsung
SyncMaster 793s monitor.

- I downloaded Fedora Core 2 x86 64
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/2/x86_64/iso/FC2
-x86_64-disc1.iso
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/2/x86_64/iso/FC2
-x86_64-disc2.iso
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/2/x86_64/iso/FC2
-x86_64-disc3.iso
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/2/x86_64/iso/FC2
-x86_64-disc4.iso

- When installing it does not initialize the X window system
- I tried installing in text mode, then switching to X Windows, but it
fails
- When at text login prompt, it keeps refreshing the display in an
attempt to start X Windows system
  - Gives some error related to VESA driver & says 'unable to start X
Windows system'
- I installed my last copy of RedHat 9, which works beautifully on the
same system
  - Checked the settings from this install for VESA driver, monitor
type, display frequency, etc... & applied to FC2 x86 64, but it still
does not start X Windows

I am zapped about what to do.
Can any expert help me here?

Regards, Ram