un-dual boot XP & FC2 - 2 harddrives

kate kate7234 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 31 23:02:11 UTC 2004

un-dual boot XP & FC2
How do I correct the boot procedure?

Neither will boot separately. How do I fix this?

BACKGROUND
I have 2 hardrives. hda is XP, and hdb is FC2, managed
by Grub. I want to separate them. I bought drive
trays, so when I want FC2, I put in FC2 tray. When I
want XP, I put in XP tray. RESULT: not dual boot
system.

QUESTION
how do I correct the boot procedure?

WHAT I'VE TRIED
I take out hdb (FC2) and boot hda XP only. I get:

"GRUB hard disk error"

I place FC2 as primary master and adjust jumper as
master:
"
Booting from CD ROM
<goes to next line and waits...forever>
"
So, I think that I need to re-write a mbr, but I'm out
of my depth here. Any help appreciated.

Kate