un-dual boot XP & FC2 - 2 harddrives

Taylor, ForrestX forrestx.taylor at intel.com
Tue Aug 31 23:25:10 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 16:02, kate wrote:
> un-dual boot XP & FC2
> How do I correct the boot procedure?
>
> Neither will boot separately. How do I fix this?
>
> BACKGROUND
> I have 2 hardrives. hda is XP, and hdb is FC2, managed
> by Grub. I want to separate them. I bought drive
> trays, so when I want FC2, I put in FC2 tray. When I
> want XP, I put in XP tray. RESULT: not dual boot
> system.

Put in the XP tray, and run the Windows rescue console from the CD.
Choose the option to restore the MBR, and you should be able to boot
from it.

Put in the FC2 tray.  Boot from CD1 (or the DVD) and run `linux
rescue`.  When it asks, mount your system and `chroot /mnt/sysimage`.
Change all of the entries in /etc/fstab that reference /dev/hdb to
/dev/hda.  Run `grub-install /dev/hda`.  If you get no errors, reboot
and voila ;o)

Forrest