Help setting up web server.

Steven J. Brown sbrown3 at optonline.net
Fri Dec 10 05:13:56 UTC 2004

Please help!

I need assistance setting up my PC as a web server.  It seems like it
should be simple, but I just can't get it working.

I have a Belkin router.
192.168.2.1 brings up the router's browser-based setup where I can find
the WAN IP address (the address I would use to access my web server from
the outside, I assume -- from inside, this also brings up the router's
setup).  /sbin/ifconfig reports my PC's IP address as 192.168.2.4.  So...

...in the 'Virtual Servers' section of the router setup,  I've got the
following:
- enabled is checked.
- description is 'Web Server (HTTP)'
- inbound port 80 to 80
- type 'TCP' (other choice is 'UDP')
- private IP address is 192.168.2.4
- private port 80 to 80

...and in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf, I've got the following (in order
found in file):
Listen 80
ServerName 192.168.2.4:80
NameVirtualHost *:80
<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerAdmin sbrown3 at optonline.net
DocumentRoot /var/www/html
ServerName 192.168.2.4  (appears earlier in the file -- do I need this
again?  with or without :80?  I've also tried 'localhost' as reported by
dnsdomainname.)
</VirtualHost>

To see if it's working, I go to proxify.com and enter the 'WAN IP
address'.  Any assistance would really be appreciated.

--

Steven J. Brown
sbrown3 at optonline.net
516/812-8338