RHL9 to FC3

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Sat Dec 18 01:13:12 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eugene Poole" <etpoole at adelphia.net>
To: <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2004 8:53 AM
Subject: RHL9 to FC3

> I've read in multiple places how to do a install of Fedora Core 3, but
> none on upgrading from RHL9 to Core 3.  Is there some doc available? If
> so, where?  Also, I'm running Oracle 9i on this machine and I need to not
> disturb it.  Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> Gene
> etpoole at adelphia.net

Hey Gene -

RH 9 is significantly different from FC3 - the C libraries, the kernel and
pretty much every major application have undergone version upgrades.  If you
are insistent upon doing this as an in-place upgrade I strongly reccomend
that you set up a test machine and do it there first.  Insatll RH9 and
configure it exactly like your production server, then upgrade to FC3.

I really think you'd be better served by backing up your data, doing a clean
install, then restoring your data.

Thomas