Fedora Extras is extra

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Dec 1 03:46:35 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 20:17 -0500, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> for the merger.  In fact... someone has promised me to eat a shoe on
> national television if i can find a station willing to broadcast it..
> because Extras was not ready in time for fc3 release.  C'mon... whose
> going to willingly promise me to eat their shoe unless they seriously
> thought everything would be ready in time.

Hi folks,

I've been following this thread and am very glad for the commentary--
particularly from Jeff and Dag.  I'm one of those occasional packagers
who is hoping to get a few (very few) things into Fedora Extras.  And
I'm disappointed and confused by the lack of messages from the folks
creating Fedora Extras.

I realize that supplying ETAs is hard.  Thats fine.  But could somebody
who knows whats going on at least provide a few words about the status
and what we can eventually expect?  And maybe do it once a week or once
every two weeks?  It would be nice to get an idea (even if its just a
rough sketch) of whats going on.

IMHO Red Hat is doing a very half-baked job of increasing the number of
viable packagers.  Their Fedora Extras setup is confusing, cumbersome,
tardy, and the folks running it seem mighty reticent for people
supposedly trying to "build a community".  Perhaps this newer and more
open Fedora Extras will be a big improvement.

Heres hoping that it is.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD