Crossover Office Standard

Mark Eggers mdeggers at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 1 10:17:50 UTC 2004

> I bought this software so I can download my Windows
> programs.  I tried to download the program, but it is
> corrupted and I tried several times with the same
> result.  It keeps asking me if I want to open the
> program in emacs or another program.  I chose emacs
> and its doesn't open.  Is there another program I can
> open Crossover Office Standard and if I don't have
> this program, where can I download it?

Nathan,

When you download Crossover Office Standard, it's .sh file.  This is a
shell file, and it actually has some shell script and binaries lumped
together.

You will need to execute the shell script.  One way to do this (Linux
has many ways) is the following:

1. chmod u+x install-crossover-standard-4.0.sh
2. ./install-crossover-standard-4.0.sh

Crossover recommends that you install it as a single user (non-root) in
your home directory.  I have done this and it works reasonably well.
The screen IO is very slow, but I can run the tools I need:

a) Enterprise Architect Professional (UML tool)
b) Internet Explorer (verify web development - I normally use Firefox)

The other way to do this is as follows:

1. /bin/sh install-crossover-standard-4.0.sh

I recommend the first, since the file already has #!/bin/sh stuffed in
as the first line.

HTH
-----
/mde/