Fedora Extras is extra

Dries Verachtert dries at ulyssis.org
Wed Dec 1 10:20:11 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 01 December 2004 06:22, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 05:54:43 +0100 (CET), Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com> wrote:
> > Implying that I'm not willing to work together (what you've done
> > repeatedly now) is not really nice though.
>
> I have not meant imply that you are unwilling to contribute under any
> circumstances. I'm sure if Fedora Extra's initial policy was exactly
> what you wanted you would contribute. What I am concerned about is
> trying to find out exactly under which conditions you are and are not
> willing to contribute. What would be blocking issues and what are
> issues that you can compromise over  initially and work towards
> resolution inside the contributor process.

Hello Jef,

A first problem in the contributor process in my opinion: there's no
information at all about the new 'Fedora Extras buildsystem'. The build
system will be open source i guess, so why can't the development be a bit
more visible/open for people who are interested? For example why not make
those (maybe unfinished) scripts and programs available in a public cvs or
subversion repository?

Probably after some weeks/months we'll get a mail "hey it's ready" and there
has been no input from people who will use it. Only then we'll get
information about the possibilities and constraints of the build system. Why
isn't this possible earlier?

I don't expect documentation or immediate answers to all questions, but simply
making the source visible so the future users can look at it and test it on
their own machines and maybe give valuable feedback and point at bugs..  i
would really appreciate that. Then we can also track progress so nobody at
Red Hat has to loose time on writing status mails.

kind regards,
Dries Verachtert