Cannot install skype

Alexander Apprich A.Apprich at science-computing.de
Wed Dec 1 12:18:22 UTC 2004

Markku Kolkka wrote:
> Al Bayrouni kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika keskiviikko, 1.
> joulukuuta 2004 13:58):
>
>>I tried to install skype 0.92 using:
>>
>>rpm -Uvh skype-0.92.0.12-fc2.i386.rpm
>
>                            ^^^
>

>>then I search which libstdc is installed on my FC3.
>

> You are trying to install a package for FC2. Get a package built
> for FC3 or build it yourself from a source RPM.

or, if you really want to install this version of skype also
install package compat-libstdc++

apprich at elmstreet build $ rpm -qif /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5
Name        : compat-libstdc++             Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 8                                 Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 3.3.4.2                       Build Date: Wed Aug 18
22:18:50 2004
Install Date: Tue Nov 16 08:10:57 2004      Build Host:
tweety.build.redhat.com
Group       : System Environment/Libraries   Source RPM:
compat-gcc-8-3.3.4.2.src.rpm
Size        : 1945496                          License: GPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Wed Oct 20 21:08:59 2004, Key ID b44269d04f2a6fd2
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
URL         : http://gcc.gnu.org
Summary     : Compatibility standard C++ libraries
Description :
The libstdc++ package contains compatibility standard C++ libraries.

Alex