Selecting a window manager

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Thu Dec 2 02:22:23 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 12:45 -0500, Paul Michael Reilly wrote:
> Why does Gnome (and Fedora) not have a Window Manager preference
> selector?

Metacity is the official GNOME window manager and thus it is the window
manager being used by GNOME.  I don't think the reasoning need be more
complex than that.  If you do want/need to switch WMs then the odds are
good you will do it exactly once and thus don't need some utility
cluttering the menus for all eternity.

> Having to simultaneously kill one WM while starting up another on the
> command line seems so twentieth century.

Why would you have to do that?  You would gnome-session-properties to
control what's running in your session.  (Applications -> Preferences ->
More -> Sessions)  Highlight metacity, select remove, select apply
(metacity is then permanently killed for you), run your preferred window
manager from a run dialog or whatever, set it to "restart" if it doesn't
automatically, and then save the session.  If the WM doesn't support
session management you'll have to add it to the Startup Programs list
with a low priority number.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/