Disk Partiotioning

Gustavo Seabra seabra at ksu.edu
Thu Dec 2 02:59:53 UTC 2004

C. Linus Hicks wrote:

>On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 13:28 -0600, Gustavo Seabra wrote:
>

>>C. Linus Hicks wrote:

>>>So turn off the journal. Read the tune2fs manpage.
>>>

>>What do you mean by "turn off the journal"?
>>

>The only difference between an ext2 filesystem and ext3 is that the ext3
>has a journal. Turn off the journal and you have an ext2 filesystem. The
>tune2fs manpage tells you how to do that. If you don't trust that on one
>of your live filesystems, experiment by creating a new filesystem (you
>don't have to have a free disk partition to do this, you can do it with
>a filesystem in a file) and make sure you know what you are doing before
>doing it for real. After you finish resizing, you can turn the journal
>back on and convert back to ext3.
>
>Note that you can only turn the journal off when the filesystem is not
>mounted or mounted read-only, so you will have to do that using a rescue
>CD or some such.

How do I make a "filesystem in a file" ?

I also had a couple of problems: I backed up everything in my "/"
partition inside /home. Then I tried booting with the System Rescue CD
or Knoppix. In the first, I couldn't access any of my permanent
partitions. In the second, I could only mount them as "read-only", so I
would not be able to restore the "/" partition after resizing it, or
would I? I mean, I must be able to read/write there after I re-create
it, don't I? And how am I going to define the mount point as "/" after
re-creating it?

You see, I still have a lot to learn. I'm starting to believe that this
is just too much for my present knowledge, and maybe I should just
"patch" things up with symlinks to somewhere in /home, at least untill
it's time to reinstall the whole system again... (I should probably do
it in about a year max.)

Gustavo Seabra - Graduate Student
Chemistry Department
Kansas State University