Persistent problems with new FC3 install

Garry Turkington garry.turkington at acm.org
Thu Dec 2 05:04:09 UTC 2004

Hmm, previous post seems to have disappeared into the ether, apologies if
it ever surfaces...

Hi,

I installed FC3 on a new machine with relatively little problems.  I did
need to add NOPROBE to the install boot prompt and manually add hardware
but otherwise all was well.

On reboot though things freeze after:

Initializing hardware... storage network audio

Looking at the list archives I see references to issues with rhgb, udev
and video mode.  So I've tried:

1. Removing 'rhgb quiet' from the kernel command line
2. Forcing a boot into run level 3, both by adding '3' to the command line
but also by changing inittab after doing a rescue boot to get at the
filesystem
3. Verified udev_logging=no is set in /etc/udev/udev.conf
4. Just for kicks I did a rescue boot from the DVD, chroot'ed into the
environment and ran up2date.  This pulled down a host of updated packages
including a new rhgb, udev and kernel.

None of this has worked and I'm at a bit of a loss.  The machine is a dual
boot with WinXP which works fine.  I also just tried the new SuSE Live CD
which boots happily and sees all the hardware.

Machine is:

MSI K8N Nforce3 250gb socket 754 mobo
Athlon64 3400+
512Mb Crucial PC3200 RAM in 1 stick