FC3: kernel panic on first boot

Robin Bowes robin-news at robinbowes.com
Thu Dec 2 14:50:43 UTC 2004

John Swartzentruber wrote:

> Look through the archives.

I have - I can't find anything relevant. The archive search facility at
redhat.com doesn't seem to return any useful results.

> I fixed it by building a new initrd file that
> included the driver for my SATA controller.

Can you point me at any docs that guide me through this process?

> I also noticed that my
> modprobe.conf file was missing things after upgrading, which might have
> been the original problem.

Such as? What should modprobe.conf look like? Mine just contains one line:

# Note: for use under 2.4, changes must also be made to modules.conf!
alias char-major-89-* i2c-dev

However, there is a modprobe.conf.dist file which has 165 lines. Should
I copy this to modprobe.conf?

R.